Monday, June 8, 2009

Pie Crust Recipe

I stumbled across a pie crust recipe today that makes 20 crusts.

3 lb can Crisco vegetable shortening (I use Butter-Flavored Crisco)
5 lb all-purpose flour (I sub. 1-2# of the a/p flour with white bread flour)
3 cups ice water
2 Tbsp. salt

Mix in a very large bowl or pan (I use my Bosch with the dough hook).Blend flour, salt, and Crisco together (by hand if necessary).Add ice water and mix all together just until blended.Form into patties weighing approx. 7.6 oz. each (if you have a scale and want to get 20 out of the recipe). Makes about 18 to 20

Price Break Down:
Crisco: $4.49 for 3lb butter flavor (Cub was the only store that had the flavored)
Flour: $1.10 for 5lbs at WalMart
Water and Salt are considered free

$4.49
$1.10
------
$5.59 / 20 = .28 each

Compare that to well over a $1 each frozen at the store.

I am going to mix up a batch of this tomorrow morning and will let everyone know how it goes. I plan on weighing them out, forming the chunk of dough into a rough ball and then flattening a bit. I will place them on cookie sheets and flash freeze them right away. Once they are solid, I will combine them all into 1 or 2 Ziploc's. When needed, simply remove from the freezer and let sit for 30 minutes or so until thawed.

No comments:

Post a Comment